Household Hazardous Waste Disposal / Recycling for Unincorporated Area Residents  | Household Waste Disposal / Recycling Information  | Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling  | Construction & Demolition Permit Application  | Recycling | Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) program  | Composting 

Quick Links


Telephone: (805) 658-4321

Fax: (805) 658-4324

General Questions: VCRecycles@ventura.org

Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays

Location: 800 South Victoria Ave, Ventura, CA 93009

For Water and Sanitation frequently asked questions, please click here: W&S


If your business is located inside a city, we will direct you to your city recycling coordinator. If your business is located within unincorporated Ventura County, we offer a few ways to help such as sending staff to examine your waste and make recommendations for which items to reduce, reuse, or recycle. In other cases, we direct contracted waste collection companies (“haulers”) to conduct this waste assistance on our behalf.  We can also provide some types of containers inside offices and break rooms, your hauler can provide other types of containers, and we can help you choose additional containers and signs for purchase.

For Water and Sanitation Department frequently asked questions, please click here, W&S

No. But as a courtesy to workers who collect and sort your recyclables, you should empty containers to the point where no drips or chunks will fall out and make stinky messes in their workplace. 

Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) program

The County does not fund commercial recycling efforts, but it can assist businesses with receiving incentives for businesses to make products from discarded material. For example, the Ventura County Recycling Market Development Zone helps businesses with state-provided loans and grants or such things as local site selection, permitting, partnerships, and obtaining materials for manufacturing.  


If your home is located inside a city, we will direct you to your city recycling coordinator. If your business is located within unincorporated Ventura County, the best way for you to get a compost bin is to buy one from a local garden store or a home improvement store.  The County also has a compost demonstration site at the Ventura County Government Center, with self-guided signs and examples of bins. In some cases, such as for vermiculture bins starting at schools, we can give you some worms to help you start.  

Yes, all food waste may be placed in residential yard waste carts. All food scraps are accepted including meat & bones, fish, dairy, peels & pits, cobs, egg shells and coffee grinds. Food scraps must be in a paper or plastic bag and securely tied.


Past articles can be found by visiting the following: 

     – Ventura County Star: https://www.vcstar.com/search/?q=Eco-tip  

     – Ventura County Reporter: https://vcreporter.com/?s=Eye+on+the+environment  

     – Muckrack: https://muckrack.com/david-goldstein-4  

In some cases, you can find out more about an article you read in the weekly Eco-tip or Eye on the Environment column by asking the author. More frequently, the articles include information for follow up with the subject of the article.  

Residential Trash Collection

Welcome to Ventura County!  There are multiple residential collectors in the unincorporated areas serving Ventura County: Harrison Industries (E.J. Harrison & Sons, Santa Clara Valley Disposal & Newbury Disposal) and G.I. Industries/Waste Management. You may view which communities each collector serves and then contact your collector to start service through the link below: 


Always contact your trash collector first. If an issue cannot be resolved, the County can assist. Contact information can be found here: 


In the County-approved collection contracts, residents are given 2 bulky item picks per calendar year. Contact your collector to schedule a pickup. More information on bulky item pick ups can be found here: