Welcome to the Ventura County Public Works Agency Water and Sanitation Department. We provide water service to Ventura County Waterworks District Nos. 1 (Moorpark), 17 (Bell Canyon), 19 (Somis), and 38 (Lake Sherwood).

To apply for water service, please provide:

  • Service address
  • Date to start water service
  • Previous address, if a return customer
  • Primary applicant’s contact information
  • Secondary applicant’s contact information, if applicable
  • Mailing address, if different than service address
  • Property owner contact information

Once you have the necessary information, complete and submit the online application form here. A customer service representative will contact you in one business day to confirm water service start date and let you know if you are required to pay a security deposit that is due on your first water bill.

To Apply for Agricultural Water Service:

Per the Ventura County Waterworks Districts Rules and Regulations, in order to receive agricultural water service you must meet the requirements below:


Requests for agricultural water service must comply with District classification Rule 1-C-3 (b):

“Agricultural” – customer that receives water service to a parcel of land that uses water exclusively for the:

  • Growing of crops for human consumption or commercial purposes
  • Raising of fowl or livestock for human consumptions or commercial purposes
  • Commercial breeding and training of horses for sale, including training for racing

Agricultural use excludes water used for commercial or non-commercial boarding or riding facilities, stables, equestrian centers, show arenas or event centers, or other similar facilities or operations.

  • For WWD No. 1, the serviced parcel of land must be at least five (5) acres
  • For WWD No. 19, the serviced parcel of land must be at least one (1) acre

Requests for agricultural service connections must comply with District classification Rule 1-H-2a:

  • Water used for agricultural purposes shall be separately metered
  • Agricultural water service may be discontinued, with a 30 days’ notice, at the option of the District
  • Agricultural service connection shall not be used to supply adjoining property of a different owner

Please complete and submit the Agricultural Water Service Application. Your request will be reviewed and an Operations and Maintenance Technician will contact you to schedule a site visit. You will receive notification of the status of your request within 10 business days.

To Start Sewer Service (Piru Only):

This service only applies to new residential customers within Piru city limits served by the Ventura County Public Works Agency.

Please complete and submit the Sewer Service Application. Accounts require verification by Engineering and Development for final occupancy sign-off and payment of fees.Your request will be reviewed within 10 business days. 

You will receive a notification from the Water and Sanitation Department when the sewer service billing is transferred to the County tax roll in the new fiscal year.

Sign up for Autopay (ACH)

We offer FREE automatic deduction of funds directly from your checking account. The funds are deducted on the due date of your water bill.

To sign up for ACH:

  • Contact our customer service at (805) 378-3000 to request a paper application (online form coming soon)
  • Attach an image of a voided check, name on check must match the utility account name
  • Your water service account must have a $0 balance

Your application will be processed within 48-hours. Upon review and approval of your application, autopay will become effective on your next billing cycle. To cancel autopay at any time, please send a written request to wscs@ventura.org.

Additional Payment Options

  • Walk-in:  We accept cash and check payments at our office located at 6767 Spring Road, Moorpark, CA 93020. You may use our payment kiosk to pay with you credit/debit card and e-Check.
  • Online and Phone Payments:  Payments can be submitted using our payment website https://cislink.ventura.org. To pay by phone, call 1-888-844-8587.  A convenience fee of 2.15% for debit/credit cards (minimum of $1 fee), and/or $.50 for e-Checks will be applied.
  • Check payments can be mailed to our processing center at:

Water and Sanitation Department
Payment Processing Center
P.O. Box 1470
Hemet, CA 92446-1470

Register for e-Bills

Register online at https://cislink.ventura.org to sign up for electronic bills. You will need your customer account number and e-mail address to register. Depending on your service area, you will be billed on one of four billings cycles. This means the due date will vary each month, but it will always be due 22-days after the bill is generated. View the cycle schedule and due dates online at https://www.vcpublicworks.org/wsd/customerservice


For new service provide:

  • Service address
  • Date service is to begin
  • Name(s) of the person(s) account holder
  • Mailing address (if different than the service address)
  • Your telephone number(s)
  • Your social security number
  • If you are a tenant, please provide the name and number of the property owner


Customer service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except holidays.

6767 Spring Road,  Moorpark CA 93021 (Map)

Mailing address:
Water and Sanitation Department
P. O. Box 250
Moorpark, CA 93020-0250

805) 378-3000 (including after-hour emergencies)

If you live in the Simi Valley area, please contact Ventura County Waterworks District No.8 for information on establishing service.


Call (805) 378-3000 for sewer issues in the following areas:

  • Moorpark
  • El Rio
  • Nyeland Acres
  • Piru
  • Camarillo Airport
  • North Coast:
    • Solimar
    • Faria
    • Seacliff
    • Mussle Shoals