All applications and re-submittals will be made online via or emailing the documents to Please contact our division about procedures at or call (805) 654-3027.


Permits | Grading | Floodplain Development

Land Development Services is a Division within the Ventura County Public Works Agency’s Engineering Services Department. We issue permits for grading and floodplain development. There are several types of grading permits including: Stockpile, Removal and Re-compaction (R&R), Agricultural or Oilfield, Regular and Engineered Grading. There are also several types of floodplain development permits including: Residence, Non-Residence, Agricultural, and Simple Project. We also provide engineering support Services, including geotechnical report reviews, grading inspections, Water Availability Letter Reviews, water will serve letter processing, flood hazard reviews, CEQA determinations, and flood acreage assessments for new subdivision and property improvements within the unincorporated county areas.

We provide engineering support services pertaining to development projects to other County departments such as Planning, Building and Safety, Environmental Health, transportation , and Watershed Protection, including  review of site conditions, geotechnical, geologic, floodplain, hydrology and hydraulic reports.

We enforce the Ventura County Building Code Ordinance (Appendix J – Grading) and Ventura County Floodplain Management Ordinance. We would be glad to assist you  with any land development questions.  You can contact us in person at our Public Works Counter, by phone, or by e-mail regarding grading, County geology and geologic hazards, floodplain development,  land improvements, and fees associated with our services.

Our Public Works Counter is located in the Hall of Administration at the top of the escalator. You can also reach our division at (805) 654-3027, and at to answer questions you have about grading permits, grading complaints, geotechnical report reviews, floodplain permits, floodplain clearances, water will serve letters, water availability letters, flood acreage assessments, and public records requests

Office Counter Hours
Monday- Friday
8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.